When negotiating for a higher in-house counsel salary, you may want to try tactics used by FBI hostage negotiators. That is the advice offered by Jim Hopkinson, author of Salary Tutor: Learn the Salary Negotiation Secrets No One Ever Taught You. Jim “helps ambitious professionals overcome the fear of negotiating salary by teaching them how to get paid what they’re worth.” For those who follow our In-House Counsel Salaries Guide, Jim’s book may be a handy companion.
“Jim takes a ‘novel approach,’ weaving interesting stories, case studies, graphs, humor, and personal experience to make the topic come alive. The book also educates the reader on:
- Discovering the two simple – but vital – questions you need to answer for success
- Harnessing your social media network to gather valuable information
- Mastering successful FBI negotiation techniques to your advantage
- Creating a one-of-a-kind document to secure the highest salary range
- Using Jim’s “Right back at Ya” Method to regain control of an interview
Read: To Get a Higher Salary, Try Using Hostage Negotiator Tactics at the ABA Journal